Saturday, November 03, 2012

Thoughts from a book...




Post by: Imperfect

Tonight I finished reading a book from the young adult section of the library. The story centers around a seventeen year old girl that was driving when her parents were killed in a car accident. The girl turns to cutting to deal with the pain. At this point a seventeen year old boy enters the picture and eventually he ends up “saving” her from this destructive lifestyle.

I am sure that at least one person is wondering why I would even pick up a book like that to read and the answer, to me, is simple…it was available and I was bored. But as I was reading that began to change. I am blessed to be able to be a full-time mom and I am blessed to be able to work part-time with women that relate well to the character in the book. And even though the book was fiction it gave me insight into why some of these women do what they do.

I was struck with thinking,as I put the book away, that what I just read was the fact that this guy came in and “saved” this girl. He did this by sticking with her and being there for her; not by just telling her the nice things but by saying “I don’t know” and by being real. And I thought wouldn’t it be nice if there was always someone right around the corner that comes along and does those things for us. But I know, from experience, that isn’t always the case. If it were I wouldn’t have a job! Often women, and men, are dealing with incredible pain in the only way they know how…cutting, drinking, over-eating, not eating, excessive shopping. All the while waiting for someone to come and “save” them. 

Here is what struck me as being so profound: We already have someone who has come and saved us! Jesus Christ! He came, he gave up everything and CHOSE to die on a cross for us. And he isn’t even waiting around the corner for us to “bump” into…he’s right there with his arms outstretched. I’m not saying that if you are dealing with some of those very serious issues that all you have to do is accept Jesus and all will be rosy. What I am saying is He is there for you and He has already saved you. You still might need to find some outside help and Jesus CAN lead you in the right direction!!!




.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:09 PM

    Well put Imperfect...it is surprising how shy we are at sharing with hurting people that Jesus can help us get through the impossible things of this life! He doesnt always make it all go away but He can take what was meant to destroy us and use it to make us stronger through Him...thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:02 AM

    I like the picture of the woman who's hair is blowing off her head. I feel this way about every day!

    ReplyDelete

Old Blogs