Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Answer Should Be Obvious

By Persistent

I've been reading Mark & Grace Driscoll's book Real Marriage: The Truth About Sex, Friendship, & Life Together.  I've only read Part 1 Marriage so far and I'm struggling with it already.  It's a good book--I'm not saying that.  I guess where I'm struggling is with the conviction it brings.  My flesh just wants to throw the book out and forget I've even started it.  And then this morning I read "Imperfect's" post about Jesus' question, "Do you want to get well?"  Grrrr! 

My first conviction comes from the type of wife I am.  The scriptures about a quarrelsome wife...
Better to dwell in a corner of a housetop,
     Than in a house shared with a contentious woman. -Proverbs 21:9
A continual dripping on a very rainy day
     And a contentious woman are alike.  -Proverbs 27:15
That can be me.  Sometimes it's a wonder my husband is still living inside.  Ever had those days when you can't even stand to listen to yourself?  And you hear the Holy Spirit giving warnings?  But your fleshly side seems just too powerful and it actually feels good to give in to it?

Do I want to get well?

My second conviction comes from specifics in how I am "contentious".  I fail to follow Paul's admonition,
Let the wife see that she respects her husband. -Ephesians 5:33
I respect him in his profession, I respect him as a father but I often don't respect him as a husband and submit to his authority.  By submitting I mean deferring to his leadership of our family.  When I disagree with one of his decisions I often argue my side until he defers to me.

Do I want to get well?

My third conviction is in regards to  Taking Out the Trash, as Chapter 5 is entitled.  The Driscolls reference Dr. John Gottman who has studied many married couples over the years and has concluded there are 4 things that are sure to result in marital death if not taken care of.  They include criticism--more than a complaint, it is "attacking one's character"; contempt-"showing disgust for your spouse"; defensiveness- "the guilty person refuses to apologize or back down"; and stonewalling- failure to work towards oneness or ignoring the other person and/or problem.  I've been guilty of all 4 at one time or another and the big problem comes down to repentance.  They state that repentance includes confession, contrition and change.  Contrition is feeling the sorrow over your sin that God does.  When I think about it, I know I've sinned and I feel bad for hurting my spouse but do I really feel the sorrow over my sin that God does?  I am coming to the conclusion that, if I'm honest with myself and God, I don't really believe my sin is all that bad. 

Do I want to get well?

And finally, the biggest conviction is my pride.  I know I'm guilty of all of the above and I am even praying that God gives me the sorrow over my sin that he feels so that I can change.  But when it comes to confessing all of this to the one person I should be confessing it too--my husband, I haven't found it in me to do yet.  (Would it count if I just left this post up on the computer and let him happen to come across it?)  My pride won't let me humble myself before him.

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.  James 5:16
Do I want to get well?

Why is that such a hard question when the answer should be obvious?  Maybe because it requires something of me?  Maybe because I'm comfortable where I'm at?  Maybe because I would have to die to myself? Lord, help me!

Help me to answer with a Yes!  Not just grudgingly because it's what I should do as a Christian but resoundingly, Yes!  Yes, I want to get well!  Yes, I want to have a healthy marriage!  Yes, I want to be a model that I would be proud for my children to imitate!  Yes, Yes, a thousand times, Yes!



6 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:25 AM

    To be honest with you, I hate the "dripping" and "housetop" Proverbs about wives. But, since all scripture is inspired by God, and useful for teaching, correcting, rebuking and training in righeousness, I better take them seriously. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Persistent I think your on the right track! We can't come up with the want-to or know-how to "fix" these imperfections in our lives...only God can. I believe even the desire you express to want to get well comes from Him. Keep going, keep talking to Jesus...eventually you'll look back and not even recognize the person you once were!
    --Imperfect

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:26 AM

    Love this post! Wow, you ladies are really convicted me over here! I feel like I've already been to church twice this week and it's only Wednesday. :)

    I can totally relate to holding on to the pride and trying to muster up to the fact that I am wrong - actually a lot! I also really struggle with the submissive part. Honestly, now that I think of it - were you at my house yesterday around 6pm? These EXACT thoughts were going through my head. -Outspoken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:43 PM

    Do you recommend this book to other readers, and if so why?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I would recommend this book. I haven't completely finished it yet... but if you get the workbook and do the homework with your spouse (he has to read the book also) it really gives you prompts for discussion. That's one reason I would recommend it. I don't think we've talked this much about our marriage in a long time, if ever.

    Another is, they are completely honest and open about the sins in their life before and after marriage and so if you haven't been "perfect" (and who has?) you can see that the things of the past don't have to prevent you from having a great marriage if you're willing to work through them.

    Finally, the things that I think make this book especially unique are that they emphasize the need for a real friendship in marriage and they openly talk about sex from a Biblical perspective. So many people have been taught by the church that sex is gross or only for procreation and others have been taught by the world that sex is all about selfish gratification. The Driscolls speak about God's intention for sex in marriage, the benefits, and how to determine what is permissible and beneficial sexual activities in marriage. The only other place I've seen such open talk about sex from a Biblical perspective is in Dr. Kevin Lemon's books on the topic, Sheet Music and Turn Up the Heat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:22 PM

    I think I would like to try the book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Old Blogs