Sunday, June 10, 2012

"Do you want to get well?"


Post by: Imperfect


I have been reading in John 5:1-18. This is the story of Jesus healing the invalid man at the pool of Bethesda. What I normally do when I read a passage of scripture is read it over and over and over and over and over and OVER again. I do this because I am OCD…just kidding…I do this so I can be completely immersed in a passage and it helps me get a “feel” for what is going on.

Anyway, I was struck with the question Jesus asks the invalid in verse 6…”Do you want to get well?” (NIV). Does this question seem a little off to anyone else??? See in my brain I’m like, why even ask the question…seems kind of stupid (don’t say stupid, it’s not a nice word!)…of course he wants to get well he has been an invalid for THIRTY-EIGHT years!! But then I remind myself that this is Jesus and when Jesus asks a question I should probably pay attention.

So I start looking at the man’s response. He doesn’t scream “YES”, actually he doesn’t even say “YES”, he just gives an excuse of why he hasn’t been able to get well yet. “See I can’t get down to the water after it’s stirred because I don’t have anyone to help me, you see.” (Imperfect translation). So then I wonder why he is not saying “yes” over and over. Why the excuse and not the answer.

And then my thoughts stray to life, life as I know it right now. There are areas that I am dealing with right now that I feel like Jesus is asking me, “Do you want to get well?” And instead of answering “Yes” I just give Him excuses as to why I can’t. And then there are also areas where I don’t give Him any excuses and I still don’t feel well. Things just haven’t changed, patterns, habits, guilt, excuses…they are all still there. And then I start to look around and think about the lives of some of the people I know and some of these people have been beaten down by the worst of the world and I wonder “How are they going to be well?” “How is Jesus going to work?” These are things I don’t have the answers to and honestly I probably won’t EVER! But I do have a hope and a faith that Jesus can see what’s going on and He does care! God desires for us to be well, to be whole or He would have never sent His one and only Son to die for our sins so we could have a way to Him (John 3:16). And God didn’t do this so we could feel condemned (John 3:17) or guilty but so we could be in a relationship and the thing that was so broken could be fixed!

So I keep finding myself having the thought of Jesus asking, “Do you want to be well?” when different things happen. And I have decided that instead of giving Him an excuse as to why I couldn’t be well, I am going to say “Yes”. Will you?

Just a sidenote: Remember that my name is Imperfect and there is a reason for that, I am NOT perfect. I am striving be a Spirit-sourced-Jesus-loving woman, but I mess up A LOT! And it seems like when God is trying to teach me something new, through scripture, it takes a SUPER long time for it to finally sink in and even then I mess up. So please don’t think I have this all down because honestly I DON’T!

3 comments:

  1. I remember Susie Shellenberger talking about this too at the NEI Women's Retreat last year but for some reason today it really hits me. Maybe it's because of what God has been revealing to me this week. I've actually thought about writing about it and now I think I will!
    -Persistent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:32 AM

    Wow! This is amazing! This is exactly what I needed to hear. For the longest time Jesus has been asking me this same question and I can tell by my excuses and response that I do not fully trust and believe that Jesus (the Creator of all the Heavens) can make me well! Wow! Thanks so much for sharing! - Outspoken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:47 AM

    This blog is great in that it stretches me to think about the question, "Do you really want to get well?" If I say yes, my own fears say to me, "Where will God take me and what will happen?" "Will I loose control?" It is easier for me to pray not my will but your will (God's) be done. Is this the same thing?

    I would like to share an acronymn for fear that helps me look at fear and see it as unhealthy vice of the devil. You might be saying some fear is good, and I agee, but the fear that I am talking about is the fear that keeps me from making hard choices.

    John 8:44 The devil...was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a falsehood, he speaks what is natural to him, for he is a liar (himself) and the father of lies and of all that is false.

    F = False
    E = Evidence
    A = Appearing
    R = Real

    ReplyDelete

Old Blogs